Intro to Entrepreneurship Week Two

What an amazing life Randy Pausch had. Some of the reasons he was able to reach so many of his childhood dreams could be that he had a passion for life. He was very driven. Lots of energy. He wanted those things to happen so he made them happen. He also had some good mentors along the way, a couple of coaches, that he learned some great life lessons from. One life lesson was how important fundamentals were in your life. It's nice to have the "ball" but how often do you have it? Life is more about fundamentals-relationships, hard work, attitude, and life long learning, etc. The other lesson a coach taught him was to have enthusiasm and I would say Randy had it in in spaids.

One of his more famous quotes: "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted"  really hits home for me. Looking at a situation that didn't turn out how you hoped whether it be a business or a job or a relationship as experience to learn and grow from is so powerful. 

I believe having dreams is important, but you also have to realize that those dreams might take some work on your part. They don't just happen. You have to be intentional in your actions. Something I learned later in life.
The childhood dreams that I had were going to BYU, getting married in the temple, being a mother and living in Utah. I was born and raised in Salinas, California (where your lettuce comes from). Salinas is only 20-30 minutes from the beach and Monterey, California. I appreciate the beauty of Monterey much more now than when I lived near it. I have cousins that we visited every summer and for some reason, I wanted to move to Utah. I think it had more to do with Utah being "Mormon" headquarters and BYU than anything. 

I achieved my second goal when I was 20 years old. We were married in the Oakland, California temple. A couple of years later my third dream was realized when we had a beautiful baby daughter and then 14 months later a baby boy, unfortunately, it didn't last. But when I remarried a most wonderful man my children and I moved to Utah where he was living and my fourth dream was realized. I never reached my first goal of going to BYU (they said no when I applied) but now I am going to BYUI online and I am happy about that.

Comments