Week Four

How Will You Measure Your Life?

Clayton Christiansen from the Harvard Business School asks three good questions for one to consider as they live their life or find their career and happiness. They are:

"First, how can I be sure that I’ll be happy in my career? Second, how can I be sure that my relationships with my spouse and my family becomes an enduring source of happiness? Third, how can I be sure I’ll stay out of jail?"

As he mentions, the third question seems kind of strange but as I thought for a minute I could think of examples I know of where that exact thing did happen. Just deciding to make a wrong choice one time can put you on a destructive path. While studying this semester I have come to know how IMPORTANT CHOICES are. I don't think I realized just how many choices we make each day. Some things I wouldn't really have classified as a "choice" but more something that had to be done in there, there is a choice. 

I love how important family is to him. You realize that money, fame, prestige will not bring true happiness but family relationships will. So choose accordingly. Being happy in your career is important but a balance between family and career is the most important. 


His first question makes me think of a video we watched called, "Do What You Love." A career that you love, you were born to do and people will pay you to do sounds like a happy career to me. 

And in "Effective Choices" we learn that you don't necessarily have to work so HARD if you own your own business but you do need to make GOOD decisions. Good decisions can put you ahead so you don't have to work as hard and you can go home and have dinner with your family, the most important thing!

Have you seen the Redwoods recently? Launching Leaders had a wonderful analogy that I love about the Redwoods. I want to be a Redwood. (I mentioned the things I love in my essay).

Questions from Deconstructing your Fears:

1.         If you pursue your calling with discipline, intentionality, and the  
help of fellow travelers, what are the chances that your worst-case scenario 
will really happen? The chances are fairly low.

2.         As you look at your list of fears, what themes emerge? I think the 
theme that emerges is the lack of self-confidence. What is at the core of 
what you really fear? At the core I believe there are two things, 
embarrassment, and disapproval from others. Financial ruin? The 
judgment or disapproval of others? Physical harm? Endangering the ones 
you love? Embarrassment?

3.         What is the risk of taking no action – not following your calling? 
The risk of taking no action is to never acheive a dream or what might 
be God's plan for you. His plans help us stretch and grow and trust in 
Him. If we don't take a risk there is no learning there is no trusting in 
God to help us when we need Him. 
How do you plan to deal with fear when it pops up on your 
entrepreneurial journey? Pray sincerely, learn more and consult with my 
husband and mentors.


















Comments